Great conditions at Terra Cotta doing the Egg Nog Jog course. A good turnout – 20 Benders. We enjoyed the 10.8K Egg Nog Jog route and the tail gate and treats afterwards. We’re going to do this run again soon, in preparation for the Race in December.
In Vegas, hope to hear soon about Jackie, Yasmin and Belinda’s trip from the Instagram posts it looks like it was a blast.
Tom has found a 5 k race you may be interested in: www.teamunbreakable.ca Tom saw it at the gym he goes to. It is a 5k on December 2 at 9:00 am Heart Lake Secondary school. It is in support of youth mental health.
Bender Christmas get-together. Mark it down – Fri Dec 8. More details to come from Michelle B.
Bender Store, make sure you get your orders in by Wed.. If you need assistance navigating the site, check the tutorial prepared by Karyn or contact her by email.
Egg Nog Jog coming up Dec 10. Its sold out now. 18 Benders are registered. If you missed out, come on out anyway and cheer!
- Tuesday – 6:30 – Tim’s at Shoppers World – easy 6k
- Wednesday – 6:30 – Bramalea RR – 8 to 10 km
- Sunday – TBD….either the Etobicoke creek trail or Terra Cotta
Lots of things going on this week and coming up that a mid-week update is needed.
Boy, what a change in the weather. possible snow tomorrow….what’s going on. We will just have to dress warmly.
Best wishes to Jackie, Belinda and Yasmin, who are heading to Las Vegas this weekend. Besides all the fun, they will be participating in the Rock and Roll Half and 5 k races. Make sure you guys go to Mickey Gilley’s restaurant and ride the bull. And send pictures. That’s a real fun place.
Mark your calendar for Friday Dec 8, for our Bender Christmas party at J Red co. Stay tuned for more details to follow in the emails.
Don’t forget that the Bender Store is still open! We also have a discount code BLACKNOV2017 gets you 15% off your order. Don’t delay, the store is only open to Nov. 15th. Having trouble with the website? Follow Karyn’s great walk through of how to use the store.
For Sunday, It’s looking cold but lets head over to Terra Cotta Conservation area for a practice run on the Egg Nog Jog course. It’s 10.8 km, we can all do it, run or walk. We’ll meet at 9 am in the conservation parking lot. Bring some snacks for after the run.
Directions: Head north from Brampton to King St. Turn left (West) and go to Winston Churchhill. Turn right (north) for about 1.5 km to the entrance to Terra Cotta on the left. And head in to the parking lot. About 20 min north of Brampton.
14452 Winston Churchill Blvd., Halton Hills L0P 1N0
Condolences to Michelle B, who’s mother passed away earlier this week. Services were held on Wednesday, several Benders made the trip to show their respects. Showing again that being a Bender extends being a group of people that just run together. We extend our deepest sympathies to Michelle B and her family during this time. Flowers were sent on behalf of the group.
Congratulations to the Hamilton and New York Runners!
Hope you ran well in New York Shana, looking forward to your stories. And Hamilton…..brutal! Pouring and driving rain at the start, and what about that hard 20 km wind! It sure wore you down, but we finished.
Now a brief lull between the big races.
We have the Egg Nog Jog coming up Dec 10. Guess what, it’s SOLD OUT. We do have 18 Benders registered. Way to go! We can all still enjoy the event, either as Runners or Cheering Section.
Be sure to come out to the Running Room in Bramalea this Wednesday for a group run as we will be presenting ALS Canada with the cheque of the funds raised from the Don Doan Dash 5K in September. Wear your Don Doan shirts!
- Tuesday – 6:30 – Tim’s at Shoppers World – 6K
- Wednesday – 6:30 – Running Room Bramalea – 6-8K
- Thursday – 6:30 – Chris Gibson 8K – or join in with Maria’s Fitness class at 6:30 at St.Rita school.
- Sunday – It’s time to go to Terra Cotta, for the practice run and bring some treats for afterwards.
Congratulations Tony and your completion of the Dublin Marathon – And in your Bender race shirt too!
Mike B, you’ve have been toiling all Summer and Fall in the 5 Peaks Trail Races. Congratulations for sticking with it under some crazy conditions! Amazing!
Next weekend we have Hamilton coming up. At least 10 Benders so far registered in the Full or half. Hope the weather holds out. It would probably be a good idea to visit your local Value Village to pick up some throw away jackets and pants just in case.
After the race get together at Oscars Roadhouse at 4pm on Sunday to celebrate. Please plan to come, whether you raced or not.
Chicago Marathon Registration is now open. Register here.
Bender Christmas party Dec 8 …..mark that down!
- Tuesday – 6:30 – Tim’s Shoppers World – 6 km
- Wednesday – 6:30 – Running Room Bramalea – 8 to 10 k…last one before Hamilton
- Thursday – 6:30 – Chris Gibson – 8 k
- 8:30 – Second Cup – 12 to 20 K
- Hamilton. Race starts at 7:45 am. Follow emails for packet pickup and carpooling details.
- Reminder – Weekly Tuesdays and Thursdays – 6:30 – St. Rita – Get fit with Maria
Congratulations to all the Benders who participated in the Scotia Waterfront races. Especially Ariellia – a new PB in the Half – 1:52, Kevin 1:48, Dave 1:38, Walter, a PB 2:01, Samantha, Lorraine you beat your goal. Alain, heard you had some issues near the end, hope all is well.
Next week, Tony is headed for Dublin and the Marathon…Good luck to you!
Two weeks till the Hamilton Marathon, half and 10!
Chicago Marathon – registration is opening this week for next years race. A great event.
This week: Tapering for Hamilton
- Tuesday – 6:30 – Tims Shoppers world – 6K
- Wednesday – 6:30 – RR Bramalea – 10K
- Thursday – Chris Gibson – 8 to 10K
- Sunday – TBD
Congratulations to Ines and her marathon run in the Rock N Roll Marathon Lisbon, Portugal. Also congratulations to Jackie, Alain and everyone else who ran the Niagara Falls International Marathon. Apparently the weather was good but the heavy winds were a factor. Well done all!
Congratulations to any other Bender racers we missed.
Just a reminder, the Bender apparel store will be opening again for your orders. More on that from Karyn shortly.
Good luck to all those racing this weekend at Scotia… good luck Benders!
Hamilton’s Road 2 Hope which usually caps the fall season is just 3 weeks away.
- Tuesday – 6:30 – Tims in Shoppers world – 6 km
- Wedneday – 6:30 – Running Room Bramalea – 8 to 10 km
- Thursday – 6:30 – Chris Gibson – 8 km
- Saturday – Check the mailing list for details
- Sunday – Race day! (check emails for runs)
Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving weekend. For Mid October, the weather was fine. Now its time to lose those extra pounds from the weekends meals.
Fun fact. 1 slice of Pumpkin Pie – 350 calories
The average runner burns 100 calories per kilometer.
First of the big fall races were this weekend. Congratulations to our Chicago Marathoners – Grace, Firmo, and Rob…his first
Congratulations also to Michelle on her half in Boston.
And congratulations to any other racers this weekend that I missed.
To everyone else, training continues. Toronto, Niagara and Hamilton are still ahead.
- Tuesday – 6:30 – 6 km Tim’s (Shoppers World)…Note the time change.
- Wednesday – 6:30 – RR, for a 10 km run or Track work
- Thursday – 6:30 – 8 km at Chris Gibson
- Saturday – Details to follow
- Sunday – Details to follow Check your email.
Run For The Cure was this past Sunday, a nation wide event with 56 cities participating raising funds and awareness for breast cancer. Since being diagnosed and overcoming breast cancer in 2009 / 2010 Michelle has participated in the Run For The Cure every year being joined with an ever increasing group of fellow Benders. Is it because this a fantastic event that’s hard to say no to or is it getting “pinked up” head-to-toe and running a 5k like a travelling street party? It’s hard to say. One thing that is for certain is that it’s always a ton of fun and for a great cause.
The great thing about this event is that it’s right as the fall weather starts to come in which is the perfect excuse to layer up. Everyone knows that there’s no better way to fight the chill of a brisk fall morning than with a pink tutu! The twenty plus group of Benders showed their support by pinking up. Local news took note and featured the Benders heavily in their write up. Check out the Brampton Guardian coverage of the event.
Congratulations to all who supported this event whether through generous donations and / or participating. Also congrats go out to Alain who finished first!
A big congratulations and thanks to Michelle who setup/hosted the pre and post run festivities and makes this event so much fun. If you haven’t had a chance to donate but still wish to, there’s still time. Click here .
Thank you to all the Benders who participated in the Run 4 the Cure, lots of fun, all pinked up! Twenty six Benders, I think, ran/walked. Lots of great pictures on Facebook and we even are mentioned in an article in the Brampton Guardian. Stay tuned for a separate post on the event.
Way to go Alain, the fastest Runner overall!!
This coming weekend, good luck to the Chicago Marathon bound Benders, this is one of the top world marathons. You will have a blast! Lets plan on having even more Benders at this event next year.
Also, Best of luck to Michelle, doing the Boston Half, this Sunday.
Big Fall races coming up:
- Tuesday – 6:45 – Tim Hortons in Shoppers W orld – 6K
- Wedneday – 6:30 – Bramalea RR. – Track speed work, others can just run laps.
- Thursday – 6:45 – Chris Gibson Rec Center – 8K
- Thanksgiving this weekend – Best wishes to everyone. Long Slow Runs this weekend – It’s kind of messy because of all the different race dates but here goes:
- For the Niagara Runners – 23 km for the Full and 20 for the Half runners
- For Scotia Runners – 32k for the Full – and 18 for the Half runners
- For Hamilton – 23k for the Full and 12 for the Half runners
Have a great week.
Congratulations to all the Benders who ran Oakville Half Marathon. Heard it was hot and tough….well done!
We had a great Wine Run Sunday morning, the run part was very difficult, running through the mid-day heat, but the before and after race partying was fantastic. Thanks to Firmo and Teresa for hosting (and for keeping the pool open.) and to Michelle for organizing the event! 22 Benders participated, despite the hot conditions.
- Tuesday – 6:45 – Tim Hortons (Shoppers World) – 6 or 7 k run
- Wednesday – 6:30 – Running Room Bramalea – Some more track work. Make sure to wear something pink.
- Thursday – 6:45 – Chris Gibson Rec. Centre – 6 to 8 km
- Saturday – Reply to Liz if you’re looking to do your long run on Saturday.
- Sunday – Several Benders are participating in Run for the Cure. If you haven’t registered for the Team “Benders 4 the cure” please do so. If you require additional info, please reach out to Michelle for details. More info on Sunday’s long run to follow.
Have a great week, hope this great weather continues.