Congratulations to the Hamilton and New York Runners!
Hope you ran well in New York Shana, looking forward to your stories. And Hamilton…..brutal! Pouring and driving rain at the start, and what about that hard 20 km wind! It sure wore you down, but we finished.
Now a brief lull between the big races.
We have the Egg Nog Jog coming up Dec 10. Guess what, it’s SOLD OUT. We do have 18 Benders registered. Way to go! We can all still enjoy the event, either as Runners or Cheering Section.
Be sure to come out to the Running Room in Bramalea this Wednesday for a group run as we will be presenting ALS Canada with the cheque of the funds raised from the Don Doan Dash 5K in September. Wear your Don Doan shirts!
- Tuesday – 6:30 – Tim’s at Shoppers World – 6K
- Wednesday – 6:30 – Running Room Bramalea – 6-8K
- Thursday – 6:30 – Chris Gibson 8K – or join in with Maria’s Fitness class at 6:30 at St.Rita school.
- Sunday – It’s time to go to Terra Cotta, for the practice run and bring some treats for afterwards.
Congratulations Tony and your completion of the Dublin Marathon – And in your Bender race shirt too!
Mike B, you’ve have been toiling all Summer and Fall in the 5 Peaks Trail Races. Congratulations for sticking with it under some crazy conditions! Amazing!
Next weekend we have Hamilton coming up. At least 10 Benders so far registered in the Full or half. Hope the weather holds out. It would probably be a good idea to visit your local Value Village to pick up some throw away jackets and pants just in case.
After the race get together at Oscars Roadhouse at 4pm on Sunday to celebrate. Please plan to come, whether you raced or not.
Chicago Marathon Registration is now open. Register here.
Bender Christmas party Dec 8 …..mark that down!
- Tuesday – 6:30 – Tim’s Shoppers World – 6 km
- Wednesday – 6:30 – Running Room Bramalea – 8 to 10 k…last one before Hamilton
- Thursday – 6:30 – Chris Gibson – 8 k
- 8:30 – Second Cup – 12 to 20 K
- Hamilton. Race starts at 7:45 am. Follow emails for packet pickup and carpooling details.
- Reminder – Weekly Tuesdays and Thursdays – 6:30 – St. Rita – Get fit with Maria
Congratulations to all the Benders who participated in the Scotia Waterfront races. Especially Ariellia – a new PB in the Half – 1:52, Kevin 1:48, Dave 1:38, Walter, a PB 2:01, Samantha, Lorraine you beat your goal. Alain, heard you had some issues near the end, hope all is well.
Next week, Tony is headed for Dublin and the Marathon…Good luck to you!
Two weeks till the Hamilton Marathon, half and 10!
Chicago Marathon – registration is opening this week for next years race. A great event.
This week: Tapering for Hamilton
- Tuesday – 6:30 – Tims Shoppers world – 6K
- Wednesday – 6:30 – RR Bramalea – 10K
- Thursday – Chris Gibson – 8 to 10K
- Sunday – TBD
Congratulations to Ines and her marathon run in the Rock N Roll Marathon Lisbon, Portugal. Also congratulations to Jackie, Alain and everyone else who ran the Niagara Falls International Marathon. Apparently the weather was good but the heavy winds were a factor. Well done all!
Congratulations to any other Bender racers we missed.
Just a reminder, the Bender apparel store will be opening again for your orders. More on that from Karyn shortly.
Good luck to all those racing this weekend at Scotia… good luck Benders!
Hamilton’s Road 2 Hope which usually caps the fall season is just 3 weeks away.
- Tuesday – 6:30 – Tims in Shoppers world – 6 km
- Wedneday – 6:30 – Running Room Bramalea – 8 to 10 km
- Thursday – 6:30 – Chris Gibson – 8 km
- Saturday – Check the mailing list for details
- Sunday – Race day! (check emails for runs)
Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving weekend. For Mid October, the weather was fine. Now its time to lose those extra pounds from the weekends meals.
Fun fact. 1 slice of Pumpkin Pie – 350 calories
The average runner burns 100 calories per kilometer.
First of the big fall races were this weekend. Congratulations to our Chicago Marathoners – Grace, Firmo, and Rob…his first
Congratulations also to Michelle on her half in Boston.
And congratulations to any other racers this weekend that I missed.
To everyone else, training continues. Toronto, Niagara and Hamilton are still ahead.
- Tuesday – 6:30 – 6 km Tim’s (Shoppers World)…Note the time change.
- Wednesday – 6:30 – RR, for a 10 km run or Track work
- Thursday – 6:30 – 8 km at Chris Gibson
- Saturday – Details to follow
- Sunday – Details to follow Check your email.
Thank you to all the Benders who participated in the Run 4 the Cure, lots of fun, all pinked up! Twenty six Benders, I think, ran/walked. Lots of great pictures on Facebook and we even are mentioned in an article in the Brampton Guardian. Stay tuned for a separate post on the event.
Way to go Alain, the fastest Runner overall!!
This coming weekend, good luck to the Chicago Marathon bound Benders, this is one of the top world marathons. You will have a blast! Lets plan on having even more Benders at this event next year.
Also, Best of luck to Michelle, doing the Boston Half, this Sunday.
Big Fall races coming up:
- Tuesday – 6:45 – Tim Hortons in Shoppers W orld – 6K
- Wedneday – 6:30 – Bramalea RR. – Track speed work, others can just run laps.
- Thursday – 6:45 – Chris Gibson Rec Center – 8K
- Thanksgiving this weekend – Best wishes to everyone. Long Slow Runs this weekend – It’s kind of messy because of all the different race dates but here goes:
- For the Niagara Runners – 23 km for the Full and 20 for the Half runners
- For Scotia Runners – 32k for the Full – and 18 for the Half runners
- For Hamilton – 23k for the Full and 12 for the Half runners
Have a great week.
Congratulations to all the Benders who ran Oakville Half Marathon. Heard it was hot and tough….well done!
We had a great Wine Run Sunday morning, the run part was very difficult, running through the mid-day heat, but the before and after race partying was fantastic. Thanks to Firmo and Teresa for hosting (and for keeping the pool open.) and to Michelle for organizing the event! 22 Benders participated, despite the hot conditions.
- Tuesday – 6:45 – Tim Hortons (Shoppers World) – 6 or 7 k run
- Wednesday – 6:30 – Running Room Bramalea – Some more track work. Make sure to wear something pink.
- Thursday – 6:45 – Chris Gibson Rec. Centre – 6 to 8 km
- Saturday – Reply to Liz if you’re looking to do your long run on Saturday.
- Sunday – Several Benders are participating in Run for the Cure. If you haven’t registered for the Team “Benders 4 the cure” please do so. If you require additional info, please reach out to Michelle for details. More info on Sunday’s long run to follow.
Have a great week, hope this great weather continues.
Wow, the summer weather continues. Love it.
Well done, all the Ottawa Army Run participants. We had a great time. Such a nice city to visit. The race day temperatures were very hot, and made for tough running, but we did it.
There was also a handful of Benders out on the trails this weekend. Specifically 5 Peaks at Heart Lake Conservation Area. Entering both the Sport (6K) and Enduro (11K) distances. Well done all. Quick shout out to Lorraine who had a bit of a run in with some roots and rocks.
Next Sunday, hope you come to the Bender Wine run. Plans are in the works right now, Michelle will send out more info shortly.
- Tuesday – 6:45 – Tim Horton, Shoppers world, for about 6 km
- Wednesday – 6:30 – Bramalea Running Room – Speed work continues.
- Thursday – 6:45 – Chris Gibson Rec Centre for 6 to 8 km
- Saturday – Possible long run substitution day – check emails for details
- Sunday – Wine Run – Lots of fun! be a part of it!
Hope you all had a great Labour Day weekend. And now it’s September….already?? Vacations have come to an end, back to school, back to work.
Don’t forget The Don Doan Dash this coming Sunday! If your friends or family haven’t already signed up registration closes Thursday at midnight. We’re almost at maximum numbers for T-shirts. Don’t wait till race day cause there might not be any shirts left.
- Tuesday – 6:45 at Tim’s in Shopper’s World parking lot
- Wednesday – 6:30 – Bramalea Running Room – Speed work
- Thursday – 6:45 Chris Gibson Rec Centre
- Sunday – Not sure how we’re going to work this out, because most of us will be at The Don Doan Dash in the morning but our Long slow run requirement this weekend – Marathoners – up to 32k and Halfers up to 18k. Check the emails, we’ll will figure it out later in the week.
Congratulations to Carlo, Maria, Tony, Teresa, Firmo and all the other Mud Heroes out there. Back to back OCR races for Firmo, he’s putting the washing machine to work with all that mud. Anyone looking to do one of these obstacle races talk to these guys. Their Mud Hero group seems to be growing every year!
Only 12 days before the Don Doan Dash. Lots of work going on in preparation for this race. If you haven’t already, please sign up and get your family and friends to come also.
Still need some volunteers too. Contact “Get Fit with Maria”
We had a great turnout last sunday – 22 Benders at Second Cup.
- Tues – 6:45 – Tim Horton – Shoppers world for 6 k
- Wed – 6:30 – Running Room – we start speed work – 4 x 800 repeats. Terry Fox track in Ching Park. Hopefully we’ll be able to use the track.
- Thurs – 6:45 – Heading to Vegas!! oops! I mean, meet at Chris Gibson Rec Centre to run 6 to 8 k
- Sun – 8:30 – Long run, back up to 29 for the Marathoners and 18 for the halfers.