Merry Christmas wishes to everyone!
2017 is winding down pretty quickly, this is the last week of regular running unless Christmas and holiday parties are filling up your schedule. Should be a nice way to slid into the holiday season and bank a few extra km’s before that the 3rd helping of turkey, fixings and bottomless eggnog takes its toll. Looks like we’re getting a break from those nasty temperatures we saw last week. Congrats to all those that braved that full on winter weather last week.
Time to start thinking about your goals for 2018? What will it be? Will you be moving up in distance? Got your eye on some new race(s)? A destination race? Improving your pace and form or targeting an overall goal of Km’s run for 2018 (2018Km in 2018?). Whatever your goal, you should start making plans now and moving towards realizing it.
Both the half and the full clinics at Bramalea Running Room start on Tuesday January 2, 2018 and both are being instructed by Benders. These clinics will take your running to the next level with formal seminars and guidance from seasoned runners. Great for those looking to step up in distance, improving or just need that formal structure to reach their goal race.
As we move towards the holidays, here are the runs this week:
- Tuesday – 6:30 – Tim Hortons Parking lot at Shoppers World – last run to see the Christmas lights in downtown Brampton.
- Wednesday -6:30 – Running Room Bramalea
- Sunday morning – Christmas Eve, we plan to run, details to follow.
Have a great holiday season!
Great Bender Christmas get together last Friday. Good people, good food, good time had. Nice to see so many Benders! Feel free to send your pictures to Mike B and we’ll share them on the website. Thanks to Michelle B for organizing.
Sunday saw many Benders up in Terra Cotta for the Egg Nog Jog, many Benders running and cheering (Thanks for the bell ringing Karyn and Grace – near the end when we were getting exhausted). That warm tent and soup at the end were much appreciated. Be sure to check out the pics here.
Looks like it’s time to break out the winter spikes. Lots of snow expected in the forecast, bundle up stay warm. Dress in bright colours and be seen.
- Tuesday – 6:30 – Christmas lights run from the Tims parking lot at Shoppers World – 6K
Also, if you want some core fitness, we have Maria’s workout at St. Rita school at 6:30 . Last time this year.
- Wednesday – 6:30 – Running Room Bramalea – Ann promises to be there. Come and say hi to her! followed by various run distances.
- Sunday – To be determined, probably 10 to 12k
Welcome to the second week of December. The weather is still holding out favourably.
Well done to all the runners this past weekend. Samantha in Cayman Islands Marathon, Jackie, Belinda, Yasmin and Marcia who rocked the Reggae Marathon in Jamaica. We are waiting to hear your stories. Also congrats to all who participated in the Tannenbaum 10K
This Friday, don’t forget our Bender Christmas party at J Red Co at 6:30pm. If you haven’t already, please let Michelle know if you are coming. It’s looking like a great turnout.
For those folks wanting core fitness training, Maria is holding Workouts this Tuesday and Thurs at 6:30 sharp at St. Rita School (Mayfield and Summer Valley Rd). Its a great way to stay in shape.
- Tuesday – 6:30 – Tim’s at Shoppers world….all the Christmas lights are out in downtown Brampton, and we will enjoy them.
- Wednesday – 6:30 – Bramalea Running room. 8 to 10 km. Also, its Ann’s last week, so come out and wish her the best!
- Thursday – 6:30 – Chris Gibson Rec. Centre
- Friday – 6:30 – J Red Co – Bender Christmas Party!!
- Sunday – Egg Nog Jog in Terra Cotta. 18 Benders are registered. If you missed out, come up any way and cheer us on! It’s a fun event.
We had another fantastic turnout for the practice run of the Egg Nog Jog course at Terra Cotta this past Sunday. We’ll be heading up there for one last trip before the race the following week. Be sure to come out and stick around for the tailgate afterwards.
Lights are up in the city. Be sure to join in the group runs through the week to get out and see all the great lights in the city. Routes that run by City Hall and Gage park are on tap.
- Tuesday – 6:30 – Tim’s at Shoppers world for a short run
- Wednesday – 6:30 – Running Room at Bramalea
- Sunday – 9:00 – Terra Cotta – One last time. Hot coffee and Tailgate afterwards.
Hope everyone’s weekend went well.
Sunday morning we had a great turnout at Terra Cotta, cold, but the weather co-operated. No rain!! Sunny (sunglass conditions), counted 16 Benders. We missed a few from last week….the Laura’s, Gina, Ben, David, Annette….Where were you all? A great tailgate afterwards, thank you for the Grand Marnier Firmo! And thank you all for all the treats.
Come on out if you can next sunday.
Dont forget our Bender Christmas party Friday night. Dec 8 at J Red and Co.. more details to come from Michelle, and a very tasty food menu. RSVP to Michelle please.
Nashville in April….a big Bender road trip is in the works. It will be a hoot. A marathon, a half, a 5 km, something for everyone. And lots to see. So far we have a dozen Benders going. Sign up. We will send you some links.
- Tuesday – 6:30 – Tim’s at Shoppers world – 6 km – the Christmas lights must be going up!
- Wednesday – 6:30 – Bramalea RR – 8 or 10 km
- Sunday – We are looking at Terra Cotta one more time. It’s so nice and fresh air up there. Maybe we can run the Egg Nog Jog route backwards for a change. And of course a tailgate afterwards
Congratulations to the Hamilton and New York Runners!
Hope you ran well in New York Shana, looking forward to your stories. And Hamilton…..brutal! Pouring and driving rain at the start, and what about that hard 20 km wind! It sure wore you down, but we finished.
Now a brief lull between the big races.
We have the Egg Nog Jog coming up Dec 10. Guess what, it’s SOLD OUT. We do have 18 Benders registered. Way to go! We can all still enjoy the event, either as Runners or Cheering Section.
Be sure to come out to the Running Room in Bramalea this Wednesday for a group run as we will be presenting ALS Canada with the cheque of the funds raised from the Don Doan Dash 5K in September. Wear your Don Doan shirts!
- Tuesday – 6:30 – Tim’s at Shoppers World – 6K
- Wednesday – 6:30 – Running Room Bramalea – 6-8K
- Thursday – 6:30 – Chris Gibson 8K – or join in with Maria’s Fitness class at 6:30 at St.Rita school.
- Sunday – It’s time to go to Terra Cotta, for the practice run and bring some treats for afterwards.
Congratulations Tony and your completion of the Dublin Marathon – And in your Bender race shirt too!
Mike B, you’ve have been toiling all Summer and Fall in the 5 Peaks Trail Races. Congratulations for sticking with it under some crazy conditions! Amazing!
Next weekend we have Hamilton coming up. At least 10 Benders so far registered in the Full or half. Hope the weather holds out. It would probably be a good idea to visit your local Value Village to pick up some throw away jackets and pants just in case.
After the race get together at Oscars Roadhouse at 4pm on Sunday to celebrate. Please plan to come, whether you raced or not.
Chicago Marathon Registration is now open. Register here.
Bender Christmas party Dec 8 …..mark that down!
- Tuesday – 6:30 – Tim’s Shoppers World – 6 km
- Wednesday – 6:30 – Running Room Bramalea – 8 to 10 k…last one before Hamilton
- Thursday – 6:30 – Chris Gibson – 8 k
- 8:30 – Second Cup – 12 to 20 K
- Hamilton. Race starts at 7:45 am. Follow emails for packet pickup and carpooling details.
- Reminder – Weekly Tuesdays and Thursdays – 6:30 – St. Rita – Get fit with Maria
Congratulations to all the Benders who participated in the Scotia Waterfront races. Especially Ariellia – a new PB in the Half – 1:52, Kevin 1:48, Dave 1:38, Walter, a PB 2:01, Samantha, Lorraine you beat your goal. Alain, heard you had some issues near the end, hope all is well.
Next week, Tony is headed for Dublin and the Marathon…Good luck to you!
Two weeks till the Hamilton Marathon, half and 10!
Chicago Marathon – registration is opening this week for next years race. A great event.
This week: Tapering for Hamilton
- Tuesday – 6:30 – Tims Shoppers world – 6K
- Wednesday – 6:30 – RR Bramalea – 10K
- Thursday – Chris Gibson – 8 to 10K
- Sunday – TBD
Congratulations to Ines and her marathon run in the Rock N Roll Marathon Lisbon, Portugal. Also congratulations to Jackie, Alain and everyone else who ran the Niagara Falls International Marathon. Apparently the weather was good but the heavy winds were a factor. Well done all!
Congratulations to any other Bender racers we missed.
Just a reminder, the Bender apparel store will be opening again for your orders. More on that from Karyn shortly.
Good luck to all those racing this weekend at Scotia… good luck Benders!
Hamilton’s Road 2 Hope which usually caps the fall season is just 3 weeks away.
- Tuesday – 6:30 – Tims in Shoppers world – 6 km
- Wedneday – 6:30 – Running Room Bramalea – 8 to 10 km
- Thursday – 6:30 – Chris Gibson – 8 km
- Saturday – Check the mailing list for details
- Sunday – Race day! (check emails for runs)
Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving weekend. For Mid October, the weather was fine. Now its time to lose those extra pounds from the weekends meals.
Fun fact. 1 slice of Pumpkin Pie – 350 calories
The average runner burns 100 calories per kilometer.
First of the big fall races were this weekend. Congratulations to our Chicago Marathoners – Grace, Firmo, and Rob…his first
Congratulations also to Michelle on her half in Boston.
And congratulations to any other racers this weekend that I missed.
To everyone else, training continues. Toronto, Niagara and Hamilton are still ahead.
- Tuesday – 6:30 – 6 km Tim’s (Shoppers World)…Note the time change.
- Wednesday – 6:30 – RR, for a 10 km run or Track work
- Thursday – 6:30 – 8 km at Chris Gibson
- Saturday – Details to follow
- Sunday – Details to follow Check your email.