Weather definitely got the memo for this year’s Egg Nog Jog. As if on cue there was a dusting of snow that set the mood for the 10.8K loop around the Terra Cotta Conservation Area. Celebrating it’s 35th year with a sold out race, 18 Benders towed the starting line. Cheered on by those who either waited too long to sign up or were nursing an injury. Participants scored a fantastic medal and personalized bath towel as well as enjoyed a great post race celebration.
Be sure to sign up early next year to avoid disappointment as this race always sells out.
*photo credits – Gallery and header – Carlo, medal – Sue Sitki
The Don Doan Dash page has been updated to include pictures and results from race day. A full blog post about the race will follow shortly. Thanks to everyone for their support in making this event an incredible success!
Summer is drawing to a close, kids are back in school and the Don Doan Dash is almost here!
Thank you for registering and supporting this event. The Don Doan Dash presented by The Brampton Benders is a few short days away, below are the details to help you get to the event ready and with as less stress as possible.
Race Day – Sept. 10th
Location – Professors Lake Rec. Centre – 1660 North Park Road
Pre-race warm-up – 8:45am
Start time – 9:00 am
Five things you need to know to make sure you have the best possible experience at the Don Doan Dash:
1. Race Kit Pick up
If you can please pick up your race kit before race day. This will help alleviate congestion and rushing on race day morning.
Race Kit Pick up location and time:
Friday September 8th, 2017 Bramalea Running Room
Bramalea City Centre, Peel Centre Dr, Brampton, ON L6T 3R5
4:00 pm to 8:00 pm
Saturday September 9th, 2017 Bramalea Running Room
Bramalea City Centre, Peel Centre Dr, Brampton, ON L6T 3R5
11:00 am to 3:00 pm
Race Day Kit Pick Up Professor’s Lake Recreation Centre
1660 North Park Road Brampton, Ontario L6S 4B4
7:30 am to 8:30 am
2. Getting There / Parking
Parking is available at the Professor’s Lake parking lot (approx. 80 spaces). Overflow parking will be at St. John Bosco school west of Professor’s Lake. Parking attendants will be on site directing people to available spaces. Nearby street parking is also available. We ask that you please do not park at either of the Baptist Church and Kingdom Hall parking lots. Carpool if you can, because it’s always more fun.
3. At the Race / Pre-Race
It is encouraged to arrive at least an hour before the start of the race to ensure that you’re at the starting line ready to run before the gun goes off.
Race day kit pick up for those who were not able to pick up prior to race day can do so inside the Rec Centre. Washrooms / change rooms inside the rec center are open. If you have a bag or other items you’d like to leave in a safe spot during the race, a bag check is available in the rec center.
Pre-race warm up and race announcements will begin at 8:45.
Please follow the route markings and obey all volunteers. Stay inside designated race boundaries for your own safety. Police and volunteers will be on the course re-routing traffic. There will be a water station and first aid present on the course. If at any point you need assistance ask the nearest volunteer wearing a safety vest. Run hard and have fun!
5. Post Race
You’ve done it! You’ve finished the inaugural Don Doan Dash 5k! Congratulations! Grab a post race drink and snack. Sit back, relax and cheer everyone else coming in. Awards will be presented to top finishers! There are prizes so be sure to stick around.
Thank you again for help making this event a huge success. We look forward to seeing you out there on the race course having a great time. Please visit the Don Doan Dash Race Page for further details.
Hope you all had a great Labour Day weekend. And now it’s September….already?? Vacations have come to an end, back to school, back to work.
Don’t forget The Don Doan Dash this coming Sunday! If your friends or family haven’t already signed up registration closes Thursday at midnight. We’re almost at maximum numbers for T-shirts. Don’t wait till race day cause there might not be any shirts left.
Tuesday – 6:45 at Tim’s in Shopper’s World parking lot
Wednesday – 6:30 – Bramalea Running Room – Speed work
Thursday – 6:45 Chris Gibson Rec Centre
Sunday – Not sure how we’re going to work this out, because most of us will be at The Don Doan Dash in the morning but our Long slow run requirement this weekend – Marathoners – up to 32k and Halfers up to 18k. Check the emails, we’ll will figure it out later in the week.
First off, if you haven’t done so already, please sign up for the Don Doan Dash (Sept 10). Get your family members and friends involved also. Its only 4 weeks away. We had a sneak peak at the official race shirt yesterday and there were plenty of oohs and ahhs! Stay tuned for a special preview.
We also need volunteers. If you want to volunteer and haven’t yet, please reach out to “Get Fit Maria” or simply reply to the weekly email indicating that you’d like to volunteer and Ivar will pass it along.
Tuesday – 6:45, at Tim’s parking lot, Shoppers World (just north of Steeles at hwy 10), for a 6 km run
Wednesday – 6:30 Bramalea Running Room – we are still doing hills – up to 9 for the marathoners, and 7 for the halfers
Thursday – 6:45 Chris Gibson rec centre – for about 6 to 8 km
Sunday – Long SLOW run – 32 for the marathoners, 16 for the halfers, other distances for the 5 and 10 k runners. The plan is for Inglewood, either the trail or the road route. More info to come.
1. Register – The easiest thing you can you do is register for the race. Click here...and you’re done. That was easy! Thanks for helping us make this a success.
2. Register a friend – Ever run a race by yourself…nope didn’t think so. Why start now. Get your friends to register for the race. It’s going to be a fun time. It’s also going to make it less awkward when you show up wearing your sweet technical race shirt and finishers medal and they don’t have one.
3. Share – Help spread the word. Social media has far reaching affects and I’m not just talking about sharing pictures of cats. There’s so many platforms and all of them all full of people that love to run and haven’t heard of our race. There’s an event poster available for sharing. Know a bulletin board that would love to find out about the race (sports stores, rec centers, coffee shops, schools, libraries). Just remember to please ask before posting. Follow race related sites – Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram
4. Facebook – Have you liked the Don Doan Dash page? Have you selected “yes” that you’re attending the race on Sept. 10th. No? Why not? I know you’re on Facebook. Two billion people on Facebook and only 39 likes for the race page. Let’s close that gap. Like the page, like the posts, share the posts, invite your friends.
5. Wear your Bender gear – Wear your Bender gear to races and out on training runs. Don’t be shy when someone asks you, “What’s a Bender?” and don’t forget to tell them about the Don Doan Dash. Don’t forget to tell them to “come run with us”.
6. #Hashtags – Hashtag your social media posts. Training runs, races, social gatherings. We’ve got #bendersrc#dddash and #dddash4ALS. These hashtags go a long way to help build the buzz and sense of community as everyone gets ready for the race.7. Check the website – Bramptonbenders.com has risen from the ashes. Weekly updates concerning all things Benders are going up. Be sure to check out what’s going on with the club. Want to contribute or have something special to share? Reach out and let us know.
8. Instagram – You’re out there taking selfies, I’ve seen you. Follow @dondoandash on instagram and use the #hashtags to create the buzz! We’ll follow you back! Showcase our area and why running with us is so much fun.
9. Volunteer – Want to do more than just run the race? Volunteer! We’ll take all the help we can get. Help us give back to the community that’s given so much. Volunteer page with details will be coming soon to the race page.
10. Go for a Run – Most importantly, don’t forget to run! I mean there’s a race coming up, it would be awfully embarrassing to show up not having trained.
Congratulations to everyone that ran Mississauga and Toronto races yesterday! We lucked out with the weather (no rain/snow) but it was still cold and windy. We had several PB’s despite the conditions, as well as first half marathons for some! It was so nice to see so many Benders afterwards at Oscar’s for post race celebrations! Was especially great to see Don out! ????
Let’s welcome our newest Bender David into our group. David was part of Laura and Chandra’s Half Clinic – welcome David!
This week is recovery week, so we will back off a bit.
Tuesday – For anyone wanting to stretch out and loosen up those tired muscles how about Maria’s Workout at Loafers Lake – Classroom 1. Class is at 6:30 sharp please arrive by 6:20 – bring a mat if you have one – fee is $5
Wednesday – an easy 6 km (or 8 if you want) from the RR at 6:30 if you feel up to it.